Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The house with the red door

During our 3rd program today that was in a field I felt that I needed to pray for a sick woman in one of the houses surrouding the field specifically the house with the red door. We don't typically do that because we pray for the kids that come out to the program we don't go searching for people in their houses its not as safe because we dont know whats going on behind closed doors especially in the areas we're working in but I knew if I didn't say anything I would regret it when I sat back down on the bus to leave. 

So I asked a national if we could pray for someone in the house with the red door and he said yes. We asked Neil, a guy on our team who actually goes to my home church to come with us too so it wasn't just 2 people knocking on a random door. 

I thought we should knock on the door and ask to pray for the sick if there were any. So we knocked, somebody said something in Spanish which I think meant something about going to the next house and the red door opened and a man stood in his underwear. By this time we were already moving on to the next house and he closed the door. No one was at the second house. I felt awkward. We were about to give up when the pastor came up and asked what we were doing and the national told him the situation. 

The pastor then knocked on the red door and told the man inside that This American girl felt like she needed to pray for a sick woman that was in his house. Pretty much if this feeling to pray wasn't from God I'd look like a fool! But it turns out that there was a woman that was physically sick in his house she was older and couldn't walk. The family has to carry her everywhere and to think about that on a basic level their bathrooms are outside not in the other room it's extremely difficult to have a crippled person in these living conditions. 

So we prayed. The woman was so touched. Her look of sickness that we saw when she was first presented to us as her family carried her in on a plastic chair was gone. She was happy as could be smiling ear to ear saying "I feel better" "I know God is going to heal me now." 

It turns out that she could hear our program outside and wanted to come out but couldn't because of her physical illness but she prayed that "God would send one of his children to come pray for her." God is faithful and answers prayers because I felt him drawing me towards her house to pray for her. She now knows that God sent someone just for her because he loves her that much. 

I know that many times when we pray we don't see an immediate result and many times I may never understand why but could you imagine the woman's expression when we knocked on the door just to pray for her after she asked God to send somebody when we had no knowledge of a sick woman living there?! Ahhh God is so incredible! 

Just felt like telling you all one of the many awesome things that God has done thus far :) I can't wait for tomorrow! 

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you were sensitive to the prompt of the Holy Spirit and went and knocked at the red door. I believe that God already did a miracle in the lady's life... she believed and had faith. I'm very touched by your experiences and I know God will continue to you use each of you in a mighty powerful way. May the Lord continues to change and transform the lifes of each person from the youngest to the oldest. All of you will see greater things...be ready. I'm praying for each of you without stopping. God bless you, Mrs. Hooley

    ReplyDelete
  2. What you guys are doing is not easy but so rewarding, there are no regrets. To God be the glory, honor, praise and power forever!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww Mrs Hooley I love you! thank you so much for encouraging us! I can't wait to tell you about the days to come :) thank you for your prayers!

    ReplyDelete