Saturday, June 12, 2010

Potrerillos


Yesterday we climbed into the bed of a cattle truck and headed up the mountain to the little community of porterillos. We were told that years ago there was an earthquake and the head missionaries here where flying over the mountain and spotted there little town. They brought relief to the area that had been destroyed and they have been coming since then. For those of you from Kingsway it was the place where we did the feeding program. It is an extremely rural area with houses that sneak up on you through the brush. We did a couple programs and played with the kids but unlike last year where we went all the way to the top we decided to help the people of the community. I thought this was the coolest part because we got to see how these people live everyday. It's a whole other world. The first impression that many locals get is that just because we're white and come from America we have a ton of money and are better than them. But when we humble ourselves and get dirty doing the work that they do everyday we bridge the gap that is placed between us. They invited us into their house and we told them we would help with anything they asked. Let me tell you that I will never again take my washing machine for granted. I helped with washing their clothes like hard core grab the bucket lower it into the cistern and carry it over to wash the clothes on a stone. I really enjoyed it though it's an immediate result and the people are really grateful for it. I always seem to be the awkward person who has no idea what's going on because I can't speak Spanish. One of the guys from our team chopped wood for the lady but man when she first brought out the axe there was a pause where I had no idea what she wanted us to do with it I thought she was going to ask us to catch her a chicken to cut off the head and that is where I draw the line haha. It was a good day though, I feel it in my arms today from holding on for dear life on the back of the truck. We showered in the lake which is actually more fun than it sounds when there is a trapeze involved the only thing I would've changed would be to dry my hands after the shampoo part because hey apparently it gets slippery haha. I moved to Kristals apartment today and we'll be working with the kids around the city of San Salvador so I should have Internet for a while. I'll keep you guys updated!


"do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others."

5 comments:

  1. Bri I wanted to tell you that I was over your Grandmothers house today and she had a special book with Grandmom's Memories and inside the book it said her Mother's favorite piece of advice was "Always be good and help people who need help!" I thought of you and the connection you have with the people there and all that you are doing in El Salvador. Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey!
    Everything sounds awesome! I am so proud of you and everything that you are involved in. You are touching more lives than you even know. I am trying to catch you on facebook!
    I love you.
    Tyler

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm actually jealous, I want July 17th to hurry up and get here. Hey San Salvador is where Nelson lives, perhaps someone can help you find him? Praying for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. BRANCH!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha yea and it rained the night before so we surely felt the branches lol and yes Marco I saw Nelson today at church! I told him to come visit the lake when you guys come in July :)

    ReplyDelete