
So I just made it back from a long intense trip to Juayua. I actually just found out that information because all week I had no idea where I was. We stayed on the floor of a church there and went out each day to do programs for the kids and church services at night. We went into schools and side streets through the mountains and rain, pretty much anywhere we could set up camp. On Wednesday we went into a homeless shelter. Many of the people lost their houses due to flooding.The houses here are made up of tin and would, they´re not very stable. It has rained here everyday and the mountainous areas are prone to rock slides. Just driving around you can see huge boulders littering the streets. The worst part was seeing kids living in the shelter. They were so happy that we were there. As soon as we walked in the door they ran up and clung to us. We played games with the kids and gave them candy and cookies. We did a program and prayed with them. One little boy was with me the entire program and wouldn´t let me go. When we had to leave he grabbed my waist, looked up at me sobbing and in clear english said ¨please don´t leave me¨ If that doesn´t break a heart I don´t know what will. Looking out the window of my bus you could see the little boy crying his eyes out with his hands through the bars of the shelter window reaching for our bus. Thats an image that will be etched into my memory forever.
James 1:27 - "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
No comments:
Post a Comment