Sunday, July 18, 2010

Rio Blanco

So my last week in Nicaragua is coming to an end. I'm on a nine hour bus ride, currently in Honduras, on my way to El Salvador. This week started off with a 7 hour bus ride to Rio Blanco. We made it pretty late and we stayed at a hostel. I'm pretty sure our room was the only one with out running water and electricity. In the morning we headed out into the mountains of Wilicon where the people have never seen gringos in person before. We drew a lot of attention to say the least. We stayed on top of a two story concrete platform. There was a roof over our heads but the walls were open to the outside. I slept on a bench and I'm happy to say I did not get devoured by the Mosquitos. This is where we rode horses and went down to the massive white river. It was so beautiful. We did programs and church services all through out the area. The kids were awesome. I think it was one of the poorest areas I have seen so far. Many of the kids had bloated stomachs and streaks of malnutrition through their hair. There were a ton of kids that came out even in the rain. On our way back from Rio Blanco our bus tire blew. Our bus trip took even longer! We were in the middle of nowhere with cows all around us. We had to make it to the closest town to try and find some parts. We finally made it back and finished off with our last program. We had a bunch of kids and we played games, gave out candy and balloons, and ended our stressful day with a touching program. It was a good week! Now I'm excited to see my Mom in El Salvador along with my home team. I miss you guys! 

No comments:

Post a Comment