So a couple of my friends and I went to Currie park today to feed and spend some time with the homeless. A couple weeks ago God put the homeless on my heart when I met a man named Joey walking home one night. He was sleeping on the steps of a church down the street from my apartment. A couple of my friends and I prayed for him and I was up all night just feeling how lonely he was. More than anything I just wanted to sit up and talk to him and maybe sleep out on the steps out there, but Im a female and it looks wrong, so there I was up all night praying for this man in the confines of my apartment.
Then last week while I was at the beach God gave me an idea to buy a couple tubs and fill them with water and wash clothes for the homeless. So today we brought the tubs, along with some soap, shampoo, razors, and laundry detergent. We bought 2 chickens, some bananas, grapes, and water and went. We were still and listened to what they had to say. A couple of my friends played cards. Some just sat and talked.
I spent time with a woman named Kendra. She is in an abusive relationship and was released this morning from the hospital. I asked her if she needed anything washed and I washed her dress el salvadorean style :) she looked over the items that we brought and said she hadn't shaved her legs in a while. So there we were on our knees helping in anyway that we could. She said she felt like a queen! I washed her feet and painted her toe and fingernails. She was so happy! She kept saying how beautiful she felt. She strutted around showing off her look.
Looking up and watching her show off made me cry out to God for him to use me more and bring me lower than I've ever been before. I am no better than the homeless and just to see how one action could change someones mindset leaves me overwhelmed every time.
My friends are incredible and have such a heart to share God's love! Mike ended up giving the shirt off his back to a man. Robbie was sharing the gospel to any person that would listen while Steve was praying for anyone that was receptive. Kenzie and Lauren loved loved loved and listened to what each person had to say. We each have different stories but I hope this entry gives a little insight into what I experienced today.
God's moving. Please keep us in prayer :)
"if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness, and your night will become like the noonday. The LORD will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail. " -Isaiah 58:10-11
El Salvadorean style!!! Yeah, girl! :D
ReplyDeleteThis is what I want to be doing. Making a difference in people's lives like when we were overseas, not updating my facebook status every 3 hours.
I'll pray for you guy.
Stay awesome. :')